Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Experiment Continues...

So, my ongoing experiment with doing collage 'sans monotype' is still going on.  This is hard, people! (Did I just say that?  I'm starting to sound like my students!)  Here is, I suppose you could say, the 3rd incarnation of this piece- sort of.  You'll probably recognize parts of it from incarnation #2.  I felt it wasn't going anywhere, so why not rip it up?  Nothing to lose, and lots of potential learning to gain.  Besides, tearing something apart is a good way to get out your frustrations, if nothing else.




This has several layers, and has gone through quite a bit of ripping and scraping of its own. It didn't scan very well, I guess because of the metallic joss paper; the colors are a bit off, despite my attempt to correct them in Photoshop. 

Self critique:
I like the colors, but I'm not sure if the joss paper is too bright/strong in value compared to the rest.  Maybe there's too much contrast.
I think the composition is the biggest problem here.  Not enough of a focal point; it's a disjointed jumble of stuff, like the inside of your kitchen junk drawer.  The issue for me has always been that I have difficulty eliminating anything, so it becomes too much, too much, too much!
Maybe I should cut the sides off?


Well, it was fun, and I did learn from it.  And I made a huge mess in the studio.
Your critique?  Any comments, advice, and/or constructive criticism are appreciated.

Tune in next time for incarnation #4...

3 comments:

  1. I have no real advice as I have been making my own messes in my space. I like the circle...the size seems perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the joss paper provides the base to hold it all down/ focal point. The bottom below the paper needs trimming or darkening but that's all I could see. Maybe you think too much about it? And congatulations on being slected for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now HERE'S a bold and brave artist, asking her readers for critique!

    There's no way in the WORLD I feel qualified to do anything but applaud and throw roses for the beauty of your work and your courage in putting it out there. If I lived near you, I'd come by and take you out for a glass of wine and a relaxing chat about your work. Thank you for the example that you set!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.