Tuesday, May 18, 2010

When Is Too Much Too Much?

In my last post, my conjecture concerning a failed experiment concluded by saying that the reason for said failure was my inability to leave anything out.  The piece just had "too much stuff" in it; you could say it was "overstuffed."  In my quest to determine if my theory about the composition was valid, I thought perhaps I should try systematically cutting off parts to see if it was improved; a scientific experiment of sorts.  Hypothesis: too much stuff.  Experimental methodology: cut off some stuff.  Dependent variable: loveliness of the composition. 

As I went to get the trusty exacto knife, it suddenly occurred to me: why not use Photoshop to crop it, instead of an actual 3-dimensional implement of destruction?  That way, I could crop it one way and observe the result, then go back and start over, as many times as I wanted to.  Genius!

The original mess


Version 2:  The first thing I did was to cut off the edges a little.  I didn't think this was a great improvement.


Version 3:  I trimmed it down a bit further.  Not bad.  But now the upper right corner seems too light and doesn't really go with the rest of the piece.


Version 4:  I took off some of the light area on the right side, and I'm starting to like it better.  There is still a tension between the gold/rust diagonal and the gold/rust bar at the bottom.  My eyes bounce back and forth between them.  Hmmm...


Version 5:  Here, I eliminated the bar at the bottom completely, making the gold in the center the focal point, and simplifying the composition greatly.  No more push-pull; the composition is more static.  Has it become boring?  

I realize this was all kind of tongue-in-cheek, but in spite of my silliness, there is something to be learned here.
Of course, you may be thinking, "Who cares?", and I wouldn't blame you.  But if you have any interest at all, I'd like to know which version you think is best, and why. 

Is less really more?  By golly, I believe it is!  Next thing you know, I'll become a minimalist.  No, wait... what am I saying?


 And now on a nicer and less brain-taxing note, lovely Laura of Shine the Divine: Creativity as a Spiritual Practice has generously given me a Beautiful Blogger award.  Laura is a brilliant writer whose spiritual insights always inspire me.  Thank you, Laura!


Because many bloggers don't do the awards thing, I'm just going to say:  Please visit the blogs I have listed on my blogroll; they're all wonderful!


8 comments:

  1. Ha . . . lateral thinking eh? An excellent idea. I like no 3 & 5. Does no 5 make it very small? Are you happy with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea to use the computer to look at possible crops. I am a real fan of cropping! It works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I care : ) I enjoyed seeing your process and thinking, and agree - using photoshop to experiment with your options was genius!! I think my favorite piece is the second to the last - I actually like that anchoring stripe along the bottom, sort of suggesting landscape, which feels like an extension of the map.
    Quite fun Sharmon - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Whitney- I'm not too concerned about the size; this was really just an experiment more than a "finished" piece.

    Leslie- thanks for stopping by. Cropping is an overlooked but useful tool; I often forget that it's possible to leave things out!

    Hi Karin- using photoshop seems obvious, so why didn't I think of that before? It was really helpful in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like 3, but I really like that tension of an almost unbalanced composition, which is not the case for others. I thought this was a great post, I'd like my students to see it, you know because everything they do is always perfect the first time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, I'd be glad to serve as a lesson for your students anytime! I do know what you mean about students- they think if they've done it once, they're done; why should they edit?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, I'd be glad to serve as a lesson for your students anytime! I do know what you mean about students- they think if they've done it once, they're done; why should they edit?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, I'd be glad to serve as a lesson for your students anytime! I do know what you mean about students- they think if they've done it once, they're done; why should they edit?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.