Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Weekly Quick Collage: Persimmon




Persimmon



My quick collages are what you might call collage "sketches", usually made in a short amount of time from things I find laying around in my scrap piles. I find them to be fun as well as a great 'loosening up' exercise.



Mindful

Every day
I see or hear
something
that more or less

kills me
with delight,
that leaves me
like a needle

in the haystack
of light.
It was what I was born for -
to look, to listen,

to lose myself
inside this soft world -
to instruct myself
over and over

in joy,
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking
about the exceptional,

the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant -
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,

the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself,
how can you help




but grow wise
with such teachings
as these -
the untrimmable light

of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?

~ Mary Oliver ~











26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary Ann! I'm not really sure why I chose this poem to go with this piece, but I guess it worked out...

      Delete
  2. Great image with great words. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment, Mary, and for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This poem should be read aloud without pause between
    verses, if one can keep back the tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ken, I agree... as is true of many of Mary Oliver's poems.

      Delete
  4. Exercise?....more like little artistic gems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting. Lovely leaves and artwork below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Jackie, and for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. I agree with everyone here, nicely done... words and image...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what everyone else said -- lovely collage -- lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a great feeling for composition - even in these quick 'scrap-pile' pieces. And Mary Oliver seems to choose her words quickly with great composition. I wonder if she has a scrap pile of words. . . . great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy, for the kind compliment! Maybe she does have a scrap pile of words.... : )

      Delete
  9. Your collage is me! Heavy footed elephant (winter has zapped me) I want to be a bird and fly south. Lovely post all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I'm totally with you on being zapped by winter and wanting to fly south!

      Delete
  10. Love the collage, and the poem is a new favorite, I relate. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an inspiration. Lovely work and such an exquisite poem to accompany it. Thank you, Sharmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, thank you so much for the kind words, and thanks for visiting....

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.